Monday, March 18, 2013

Gardening in North Idaho

OK - you Californians - today and yesterday we've had sun, hail, rain, and snow - in one day! 




But, here's a picture of my garden (it doesn't show but it was very windy), and of half of my hopeful garden seedlings. Yes, I just planted seeds - and I won't plant them in the ground until around May 10th -  depending on the weather.


Grandma Alta sent this picture of her puzzle - almost done! I sent this to her as a Christmas gift, and I'm glad to see it almost completed because the weather in California is 'Springish' all over the state and soon it'll be too nice outside for puzzles.



I got this picture today of some beautiful budding trees from Bonnie, a friend in San Jose, CA.  But I've also heard from Nevada and Southern CA that there's enough really warm days for winter to be over there.

I go to my back appointments twice a week now but continue to do the exercises and weights 2x day. I ice very infrequently now. Things are getting better - the edge is off most of my symptoms except the area causing the most symptoms! If that bulging disc would pop back in place I could almost live with everything else! 

Grandma Alta sent me her friend Maggie's Corned Beef recipe which she's been using for years and Grandma and Charlie seemed to like it, so here it is:



Maggie’s Corned Beef

1 package of corned beef - cook meat as directed on the package until tender, but first throw away the flavor packet inside the wrapping.
Instead add to the water:
2-3 Tablespoons pickling spice (a must - but to your taste).  

Note – can throw the spice in the pot of water or put it in a pouch and add to the water for easy retrieval.  I’ve done it both ways. 

I also tried cooking cabbage, carrots and potatoes in the same pot with the meat but I thought the spice was too much for the veggies so have cooked ( Sherry here: bake?)) them separately ever since then, so throwing the loose spice in the pot is OK since it is not getting mixed up with the veggies. 


Cook meat as directed on the package until tender. When done, take the meat out of the pot and put it on a broiler rack or on a cake pan.  

Make a sauce by mixing equal parts brown sugar and yellow mustard.  Actually any type of mustard you like is good. Start with around ¼ cup of each and make more if needed to cover the top of the meat. Pour or spoon the sauce over the meat and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until the mixture bubbles on top. 

Take the meat out, plate it or on a wooden cutting board and slice it up thin.   It’s great cold for sandwiches, too! 

I'm going to try it. I love recipes - especially of food I can eat. Sharing recipes, and seeing weather and garden photos from all over is fun - so please send them to me and let me know if they can go on this blog.
XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment