Monday, July 29, 2013

Apricot & Raspberry Season

It has been Apricot and Raspberry season here lately, and I made the mistake of taking Bob to the local organic produce store and ended up with all of this to 'can' last week! I think he was using my inability to garden as an excuse to load up with homemade jam which he passionately loves!








 All organic, local, ripe and 'just picked' fruit - 12 pounds of Raspberries and 20+ of Apricots. 



So I canned, and dried and froze. I made fruit leathers and also dried leftover organic cherries and grapes. Everything is delicious - even with 1/2 the sugar (organic) or no sugar added.


Fruit Leather Ingredients: 
5-6 chopped and pitted Apricots,  
1 peeled, cored, cooked Apple 
1/4 c lemon juice
 1/4 c honey 
blended together. 

Cook until just boiling, then when cooled but still warm, spread over dehydrator sheets and dehydrate until rollable in plastic wrap, and not wet but still warm. Store in bag or jar, in fridge or pantry. 
You can play with this.



Cream cheese filled for appetizers. Yummm...


RASPBERRIES!



One day I was on my feet for 10 hours, which was really hard on my back, so, I'm not taking Bob shopping for fruit again!



Beside using it for Pesto you can also freeze parsley (and even chopped onions) for winter soups, sauces, etc. Just take fresh clean parsley into a bunch with your fist and cut with clean scissors into a freezer container. Cut the 'squished' bunch close to your fist.

x o x

No comments:

Post a Comment