Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sewing Changes in My Life


For years I've primarily sewn quilts or quilted projects. I've sewn some garments every now and then, and curtains, pillowcases, some runners or pillows, placemats - easy things that I use quilting skills for.


There is a lot to learn about garment sewing as opposed to quilting. I love quilting, but because there is a lot of cutting and squaring up it requires more bent over time, which is hard on my back. Plus large quilts and batting are big and heavy!


So, I am studying garment construction and house decor techniques. Of course, most of my books, sewing supplies - even my sewing machine- is geared towards quilting! I never learned how to garment sew when I was growing up, all of my learning has been 'on the fly'- 'as needed' over the years, as opposed to my having taken a few really good classes on quilt techniques. Many of the techniques and shortcuts I have picked up over the years can be applied to sewing in general - which is great, but there is a whole lot to learn - starting with what my machine can and cannot do!


I'm also making more kits that have the pattern, fabric and embellishments all together in one 'kit'. That usually cuts out searching for all the parts, sometimes the fabric comes pre cut and the kits are smaller projects.

As I learn more and experiment with garment sewing and home decor I'll post pictures!



In the meantime, finally finally, I have found a good, affordable long arm quilting business - that's where a quilter takes the quilt top she's PIECED and has it quilted to backing with batting sandwiched in the middle. She then puts on binding and it is finished. She has to pick out thread color, the quilting design and of course, the batting. 



Over the next few months I'm going to have my quilt tops done, one at a time starting with the oldest - the first one I made to symbolize the ocean, redwoods, homeschooling and my fledgling quilting skills. When Bob and I brought in the quilt, I was almost overwhelmed with strong good memories of those years. I can't wait to get it back al quilted - it'll go in the family room as a lap quilt.


X O X

1 comment: