Thursday, May 15, 2014

MRI on Shoulder


For several years the Physical Therapists, Medical and Alternative Medicine Doctors, Chiropractors, and others I've seen for my pain and nerve symptoms have convinced me that I have bone/disc issues in several areas of my body -  until recently, for the last 5 months out of three years of treatments where I have been focusing on treatments that deal with bulging discs impeding nerves, decompression, traction, bone vitamins and minerals, yoga, and other exercises and bone- related treatments. Of course, none of these have worked even in the slightest way.

First, I found out that I have a labrum tear in my left hip that I have had for many years and just lived with. No amount of going to a Chiropractor has or will help or heal that. According to Spine Team Spokane, the tear and degeneration, although painful, is too small for surgery. Leaving that aside for now, I think I still have to fix or deal with my shoulder issue first, which is getting older, harder to heal, and is very symptomatic. The symptoms of this tear have overlapped with the shoulder/nerve impingement and made them both worse.

I finally had an MRI of my shoulder and found that I have tendinitis and bursitis of my shoulder caused by damage to a couple of areas near the clavicle that have not healed. In some people this area being inflamed, as mine is, causes neck pain - ergo, in part - the persistent misdiagnosis of my having a disc issue in my neck involving the nerves I have been complaining about. Since  the "pulling" injury I have been unable to write, have pain and numbness in my elbow, fingers, arm (mostly my right arm) have all kinds of back spasms, difficulty walking, slurred speech and a stuffed up nose that gets worse when I sit for a while or lay on my back, a hoarse and gravely voice, vertigo really bad and many other nerve issues. 

In a way, it is really good news that I don't have any spine, disc, bone, issues, just (!) soft tissue damage which believe me is symptomatic enough. But I was hoping for a quick fix, like surgery to heal my shoulder and end these symptoms quickly. What I was told was the nerves that go through the shoulder and back up through the neck cannot be seen in this MRI so they can't be treated and I may have to go to a surgeon eventually. 

Bob and I are going to try to heal this through more natural means by anti--inflammatory drugs - natural or prescribed and exercises, massage therapy, maybe water therapy - which was the first treatment plan someone should have suggested a couple of years ago. I'll also be going on a health kick and trying natural medicines first, but I'll be seeing my medical doctor.

Regardless, I am counting my many blessings, and my spirits are good!

So, the good news for you is unless I have a miraculous healing I probably won't do these updates on my health, I'll just be plugging away at it and of course, asking for your prayers and good thoughts!

X O X

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you! I'm glad you got this MRI done and are getting answers. If anyone can do this new plan, it will be you. All natural is the way to go if you can, and I'm glad you are also using the anti-inflammatory drugs when you need them. Boy, I sure hope this works, this is awful for you.

    ReplyDelete