Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening





Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

The little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely and dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

I love this Poem. Such a good picture! I have been using the same poetry book, a reprint from 1957, popular with homeschoolers titled,  Favorite Poems Old and New, Selected for Boys and girls by Helen Ferris.


Poetry is a great imagination builder, and really fun to read with young children.  This anthology at around 600 pages, and full of classic poems from all over the world, is kind of expensive, but it's proven to be worth it! Most of this blog's poems come from this book.

xox

1 comment:

  1. I've always found this poem to be a foreshadowing by Robert Frost. In this case, I find it to be more than true since Sherry's passing.

    ReplyDelete