Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Birthday Liz, Pictures and Miscellaneous News

We've been busy this month! I have pictures of Liz on her birthday, the laundry/seedling room, the cross stitch projects I'm working on, new side bar quotes and books I'm reading, and news from up here.

Liz has been making her rounds for her '21 Acts of Kindness', but she also celebrated her 21st Birthday in various other ways: a home dinner, out with her brother and his friends, and at a local trendy bar with her friends. She had a really great week and great birthday!

Liz at 'Bardenay', a restaurant and distillery, with her very close friend Katie (who is married and  having a baby in July!)






Liz somehow injured the tendon of her left pinkie, so she had to put off her RCM test until November this year. She's trying to work some tennis (which she loves) in when the weather permits, which is about once a week, so far.



Liz and Bob do a lot together. She or Frank, and sometimes both of them, have lunch with Bob or attend police type award ceremonies, pot lucks, etc., and Liz usually volunteers.





Frank, Liz and Bob target practice this week using the rifles. Frank's friends from work, and local friends, also target practice often here. Liz took a gun course and target practices when she has time. Love her outfit! Little cold up here maybe?  

Julie groomed and 'gussied up' for the Spring.



Here's what I've been working on this past month and I'm almost done. It's a garden and I made it with our house/barn colors. I also changed the women to reflect myself, and Liz near the frog under the basket - they look a little less Victorian too.

***

ANNIVERSARIES OF THE HEART

Lately I've been collecting quotes - some quotes are really deep, other quotes are just too true, and strike me as funny! Here's a quote to start the Anniversaries of the Heart cross stitch project info:

"God would not have made me this creative if He wanted me to clean."



The 'house' (an old symbol for the soul) blocks are made like a calendar - snow in January, hearts in February, etc., and you can assign different people in your life, or family, based on what is in the block (colors, symbols, or month). They are laid out above and each has a leaflet with a picture and a chart (see pictures below). If a person or couple has children I add their initial or I'll add their parents' initial to a child's block.




I've already assigned the blocks to family members. When I work on a block I think of the person(s) being represented and add or changes colors and symbols to better represent them. While sewing I can think of the many ways they've influenced me over the years, I pray for their intentions and I'm thankful for them. 






This is my Mom's (Alta's) block above. I'm working on this block now (far right block on original below). I've made many changes on this block: added blackberries along left side, waves instead of Greek key, bigger and fewer windows on house, Chester and Lulu dogs instead of birds on bottom, different colors here and there. She likes tulips and there are many, and she's always had potted plants, so I picked this block for her.


From the top left: my Dad Frank, then Ed & Viola's block, then fourth from left is my sister Maeve, then my mother Alta's is unfinished. 

Gail & Bob's will be all the way on the left, second row, then Dick & Connie's, Al & Edna's,  Liz is fourth from the left, second row, then Chuck & Mikel Ann. 

Third row from left: Bruce and Sheri, Frankie, Chas and Alison/AJ,  and double block for us.

This  project will take a long time to do. I pick it up and put it down to do other, more seasonal projects - but I love the colors and the overall project itself. 

More pictures later as I make progress on it!





The 'seedlings' are taking over! And we can't get them out of the house and planted until May 15th to be safe from frost (it was 25 degrees last night!). The greenhouse has a a flat of strawberries and some volunteer Lemon Balm I potted and two pots of blueberries - but I close the GH door every night.

You can see Mom's kitchen slowly becoming a laundry room and my new Speed Queen washer! (Dryer comes in a couple weeks.)

SPINE/NECK NEWS

Well, I had my '20th Decompression/Appointment' checkup last week and although my Spine is much more fluid and the exercises help my pain, the main symptoms of my bulging neck discs are the same. My lower back is much better. So, based on what I've researched, I'm going to try the decompressions another 10 times, and after that I'll continue the exercises, home traction, inversion chair, maintenance appointments, and use the info I've learned.

Yawning Shadowfax

xox

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Sherry, I never would have recognized Frank and Liz! Beautiful kids! How many years have you been up there now, definitely time for us to visit. Happy you are still on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few bumps in the road, but still going forward! 12 years here - still thinking about CA gardening though. Visit!

    ReplyDelete